manilla, currency, usually made from copper and bronze, possibly from West Africa.
James I (VI scotland) hammered sixpence coin, on the obverse shows image of king James crowned and bearded, the inscription reads JACOBVS D G MAG BRIT FRA ET HIB REX , to the left of the image is the numeral VI, probably indicating that he was James VI through his maternal mother, the reverse shows coat of arms shield with date 1605 stamped above and insrciption QUAE DEVS CONTIVNXIT NEMO SEPARET
found in the river Thames at Bray lock by someone who was working for the waterboard in the early 1950s
white and grey toy dog with long fur, the mascot of Dulux paints, which celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2011. one of several items given to the Museum by Dulux Trade and colour Centre, Slough, as part of their involvement in the Windsor and Eton Facelift 2012.
Hunts Royal Windsor Directory, including court and commercial directories of Eton, Slough, Maidenhead, Burnham, Taplow, Winkfield, Egham and Staines accompanied with a guide to the sights of London. 1846. Price three shillings and sixpence.
made by John Corby Ltd, of Windsor
Grant of arms to Peter Van Sittart, framed, probably parchment, issued by the Duke of Norfolk under the authority of the sovereign William III, dated 3 November 1697. William Van Sittart of Juliers, was born 1517 and died 1573 having a son John b. 1552 who fled to Danzig to avoid persecution in 1598.
six mounted photographs in connection with the barring of Windsor Bridge, 30th September 1895
photograph of WW2 ATS girls in front of nissen hut home. Dorney Common Anti-aircraft gun site camp. c.150 men and girls on site. Reputedly they shot down an enemy plane. From a collection of photographic copies of early photographs dated from 1890 - 1965 approx. depicting people and places in Eton Wick, many have been annotated on the back by the donor Frank Bond.
metal tin. one of three objects - a wig tin, wig stand and a wig. The wig was worn by the Town Clerk of the council for ceremonies such as the making of a new mayor. It is similar to the wigs worn by barristers in court. It was worn with a black robe, which is also in the Museum collection.
metal wig stand. one of three objects - a wig tin, wig stand and a wig. The wig was worn by the Town Clerk of the council for ceremonies such as the making of a new mayor. It is similar to the wigs worn by barristers in court. It was worn with a black robe, which is also in the Museum collection.
one of three objects - a wig tin, wig stand and a wig. The wig was worn by the Town Clerk of the council for ceremonies such as the making of a new mayor. It is similar to the wigs worn by barristers in court. It was worn with a black robe, which is also in the Museum collection.
A maroon marbled-covered hand-written reporter's notebook book from 1891-1893 for the Windsor & Eton Express newspaper, which was published by Oxley & Son, Windsor. The name of the reporter is unknown. A transcription is available.
Blue pottery ashtray in the shape of a cockerel made for The Cockpit Inn, Eton by Clee Pottery. This was acquired in 2009 because it represents two businesses in Eton: The ancient public house, The Cockpit Inn which opened in about 1420 and closed in about 2000, though the building still stands on the high street. Also Clee Pottery was based in Eton. The ashtray is probably about 1960-1970
Auxilliary Fire Service (AFS) metal and enamel badge from World War II. It belonged to John Tuddenham of Windsor.
This plaque came from Manor Farm, Eton Wick and we think it dates from about 1790.
One of three preliminary chalk sketches for 'The Battle of Aylesford' tapestry, which was then completed by the Royal Windsor Tapestry Manufactory.
made at the Stained Glass Works, Old Windsor which was in operation from 1878-1890
framed watercolour of 'The Battle of Aylesford' tapestry, by E. M. Ward.
1 of 8 beer bottle labels from liquors brewed or bottled at Nicholson's Brewery, Maidenhead,
1 of 8 engraved letterhead copper plates in the museum collection of Rubie and Son, wine merchants, grocers and provision dealers in Peascod Street, WIndsor.
copy of an original photograph by George Henton from 1894 of children waiting for stale bread at the baker's shop in the High Street, Windsor. Hentron noted the time he took this picture, it was taken at seven o'clock in the morning.
copy of an original photograph by George Henton from 1895 of Windsor Shoe Blacks in Thames Street.
small metal label made for the Windsor firm of E Bampfylde, sanitary plumbers and decorators.
2 photographs of the mechanism of the clock in the Curfew Tower built by John Davis.
quarter pint lemonade bottle from R White's works, Windsor
token struck to commemorate the establishment of the Mail coach Service.
guide book published by Charles Knight, 1815
lead token with bird with crested head on a branch on one side
made by Specto of Vale Road, Windsor.
Hulls and Sons were Ironmongers, Plumbers and Tool Merchants
with illustrations, 1922, revised edition. Original price sixpence
inaugural meeting of the Windsor Citizens' Action Group to deal with the problem of hippies stopping in Windsor Great Park,
stained glass panel signed in one corner as made by the Windsor Stained Glass Works Old Windsor, Berks 1881. On display in a light box in the Museum.
showing an unknown man in a uniform of a cap and jacket, walking in a general crowd, bearing a flag and carrying a first aid box marked 'King Edward VII Hospital, Windsor.
local standards of weights were set for Borough of New Windsor in a brown wooden box with black velvet padded lid, 13 brass weights are set into the box with 7 smaller weights and pair of tweezers.
a gift from the Corporation of the City of Windsor, Ontario, Canada
produced on the occasion of the unveiling the plaque to Sir Sydney Camm on his former home in Arthur Road in 1991
mounted, hand-tinted photograph.
A commemorative cover made in 1967 to celebrate the opening of the new Post Office in Windsor.
The arms of the Royal Borough of New Windsor were entered into College of Arms in 1566 at the Visitation of Berkshire.
This copy of a photograph from 1894 shows the damage caused by the regular flooding the Borough suffered during the Victorian period.
During the Victorian period, around Windsor floods were almost an annual occurrence. As such people had to adapt their routine, as in this picture where two ladies travel down Datchet High Street in a canoe.
A Photograph, taken in the 1960s, showing Windsor High St. from the Castle Hotel to the Midland Bank.
formerly used by William H Grenfell, mayor of Maidenhead 1895-1897.
half bushel capacity measure, official measure of the Borough of Maidenhead.
official measure, used by Maidenhead Borough Council in the 19th and early 20th century
showing Windsor Market in about 1607
Gives directions to be followed on alarm of fire, names for people for 1st to 8th beats and a duty list.
formerly owned by Chief Officer John Tull.