Players Cigarette Card showing the Life Guards uniform at the time of the Battle of Waterloo - 1815, and Peninsula Wars.
A handkerchief commemorating the coronation of Elizabeth II, showing Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, Westminster Abbey and Houses of Parliament, edged by commonwealth flags, 1953.
Black, long-sleeved dress, possibly crepe de chine and lace. This very fragile dress appears to be in two pieces but is actually one.
Titled 'Windsor Castle, from the River' No. 445. double images like this could be viewed through a stereoviewer
'Made in Germany' is stamped on the underside. Dated about 1900. Windsor has been visited by travellers and tourists for hundreds of years. Buying an item as a memory of a visit or holiday to a place or an event has always been a popular social practice.
photograph postcard showing colour image of Maidenhead Free library, post stamped August 15th 1906. The building housed the Maidenhead museum for a time. Many of the items that were in the Maidenhead Museum are now in the museum collection (Windsor and Royal Borough Museum) after being found in the town hall basement in about 1991 by the Maidenhead Historical Society. The Library's connection to the collection is the main reason this postcard was acquired by one of the museum staff for the collection. It was printed by F. Frith and Co Ltd.
A wedding dress, worn by Marjorie, a local lady, on her wedding day in Windsor Parish Church in 1937.
The queen's gift was started by Queen Victoria who gave food, clothing and coal to the poor of Windsor. Latterly this became just a 1cwt (one hundredweight) sack of coal. This photograph is of Granny Sowden, holding a piece of the queen's Christmas gift of coal, which she received from Queen Mary. She is sitting in front of her fire grate in Charles Street, Windsor, some time in the 1920s.
Illustrated Mail, special edition supplement 'Empire Mourns Its Loss', marking the death of Queen Victoria on 22nd January 1901. the supplement is dated 26th January 1901. It is part of a large collection of objects all relating to Clewer, Windsor, which was originally on display at Clewer Museum in the Lodge of St. Andrews Church, Clewer. The exhibition closed in the early 2000s.
A large glass tankard made to celebrate the Coronation on May 12th 1937 of Edward VIII. inscribed with 'The Friend of His People' and the dates of accession and scheduled coronation.
A Valentine photographic postcard showing the High Street and the Guildhall, Windsor when the Corn Exchange was enclosed with glazed windows. The postcard is dated as 1920s by the cars.
A black and white photograph of the 'Jubilee Trust Dinner in the Guildhall, Windsor, April 1978, in the presence of HRH Prince Philip', Prince Philip can be seen on the back table, left of centre. dated 1978
A small curtain probably for a kitchen or pantry. Printed with a red, green, blue and yellow design of fruits, flowers and household items.
A saucer from the Homemaker range made by Ridgeway Potteries, Staffordshire, produced for sale in Woolworths shops, dated approximately 1955. as people began to have a little more money to spend and also a refreshing change after the rationed and dreary war years when many products were unavailable and people were trying to make do and mend. Woolworths shops offered affordable products for those with smaller budgets. Small brands were often sold within the Woolworths brand itself such as having its own Ladybird children's clothing range, Chad Valley toys, and WorthIt! value range. The chain was also the UK's largest buyer of Candyking "pick 'n' mix" sweets. There was a Woolworths shop in every town and many people remember the shops on their local high street. Buying sweets and other products from 'Woolies' as it was nicknamed is a common childhood memory for many. A great sadness was felt in many communities when Woolworths finally closed its doors in 2008-2009.
A half pint pewter tankard engraved with 'St Georges 1950', but with a red glass base engraved 1951 with the Festival of Britain logo.
A pair of cream coloured kid leather gloves, dated about 1900 - 1960.
The Royalist', official programme of the Windsor & Eton Football Club' 1958 - 59.
Music Hall Chairman's gavel, made from wood from a yew tree in Clewer Churchyard. We do not know where the music hall was or when but it is thought this gavel is Victorian in date.
An unused World War 2 clothing ration book from 1947- 48.
In February 1908 the Theatre Royal was completely gutted by a devastating fire.
programme for 'Robinson Crusoe' the pantomime written by Mary Kerridge showing at the Theatre Royal Windsor for Xmas 1952. The front of the programme is illustrated with a colourful cartoon of Robinson Crusoe. 'Curtain Up' magazine souvenir volume VIII. No 8. Price 1 shilling.
Made of two hinged pieces of iron, with narrow cylindrical blades at the end. The tongs would have been heated over a flame and then sections of hair were curled around them. Each section of hair was folded first into a length of paper, called a curl-paper, to prevent the hair from burning.
ladies lawn dress with cutwork lace and embroidery.
score card for the Championship draw on Saturday 7th August for the Colgate European Women's L.P.G.A. Championship which took place at Sunningdale 4th-7th August 1976. Autographed by Bing Crosby.
Sent to Clewer by Clewer Sisters serving in India for use as a humeral veil
Religious purple stole with red fringes. Garment worn during Christian worship, by the Vicar, Reverend or other minister. possibly made by the Clewer Sisters of the Community of St. John the Baptist.
1 of 4 photographs in the museum collection of the Royalty & Empire Exhibition in the Windsor Central Station, depicting Queen Victoria and her royal guests, the Coldstream Guards, a Victorian flower girl and a road sweeper. The exhibition ran from 1983-1997.
One of a collection of illustrated envelopes sent to Mrs Ham from her brother S Millar in Johannesburg, South Africa between 1926-1950.
performed at Windsor Castle in December 1943. The cast included members of the royal family.
1 of 2 photographs in the museum collection of River Thames frozen with skaters and with the Castle in the background
commemorating Queen Elizabeth II's progress along the Thames in 1974 for Wraysbury; the Queen stopped to visit Magna Carta Island
invitation to the Mayor and Mayoress of Windsor to a Ball to celebrate the silver wedding of the Prince and Princess of Wales.
decorated with a view of Windsor Castle on the south side, painted on enamel. probably a souvenir.
the mug has a quote on the back from the King's abdication speech, broadcast on the radio to the nation on the night of 11th December 1936.
a Victorian or Edwardian lady's nightdress, dating from about 1890-1910.
A camera was presented to Doris Mellor by Miss R M Hodges, the headmistress of Wybenam School, Pietermauritzburg, Natal, South Africa.
A collection of novels by Mrs Margaret Oliphant (4 April 1828 - 25 June 1897). She mostly wrote contemporary fiction but she also produced historical novels and tales of the supernatural. Queen Victoria was said to have been fond of her work.
one of a pair of wooden pedlar 'dolls', with a wax face
one of a pair of wooden pedlar 'dolls', with a wax face
showing the Jubilee celebrations on Bachelors Acre in 1809 for King George III