Cap badge, London Transport, about 1980
Cap badge for staff uniform of London Transort and Green Line Bus Bus Company. One of a collection of items relating to local man, Mr (Harry) H E Franklin, who was a bus driver for the Green Line Bus Company (part of London Transport), probably his whole career. He wrote on the back of a postcard (2013.24.2) and he lists the routes he worked on as Tunbridge Wells 704, Sevenoaks 705 and Epping and
Manilla, date unknown
Manilla, currency, also known as 'Slave money' usually made from copper and bronze, possibly from West Africa.
Coin, James VI, dated 1605
This hammered sixpence coin is of James VI of Scotland, who came to the Scottish throne in July 1567. He was James I of England from 1603, he died in March 1625. The obverse of this coin shows an image of king James crowned and bearded, the inscription reads JACOBVS D G MAG BRIT FRA ET HIB REX , to the left of the image is the numeral VI, indicating that he was James VI through his mother, Mary Q
Buckle, Royal Household Cavalry, between 1910-1952
A buckle in the shape of a royal coat of arms, worn on the white buckskin belt of Royal Household Cavalry with No.2 Dress uniform. Thought to be early to mid 20th century, 1910-1952,as the crown on top is male, not a female crown and so would have been worn during the reign of George V and/or George VI.
Wig tin, possibly 1900
One of three objects - a wig tin, wig stand and a wig. The wig was worn by the Town Clerk of the council for ceremonies such as the making of a new mayor. It is similar to the wigs worn by barristers in court. It was worn with a black robe, which is also in the Museum collection.The wig was made by Ede & Ravenscroft Law Wig & Robe makers, who were established in 1689 in London and is thoug
Wig stand, possibly 1900
One of three objects - a wig tin, wig stand and a wig. The wig was worn by the Town Clerk of the council for ceremonies such as the making of a new mayor. It is similar to the wigs worn by barristers in court. It was worn with a black robe, which is also in the Museum collection.The wig was made by Ede & Ravenscroft Law Wig & Robe makers, who were established in 1689 in London and is thoug
Toy, Hawker Hurricane MK II C aeroplane, 1972-1975
A painted metal toy Hawker Hurricane MK II C aeroplane made by Dinky Toys, propeller blades and guns and cockpit cover are missing, dated 1972 - 1975. Sidney. This is the 1/72 scale. These were released by Dinky to coincide with the release of the file 'the Battle of Britain' in 1972 other planes that featured in the film were also made until 1975. The Hawker Hurricane Aircraft was designed by Sir
Hair curling tongs, Victorian
Made of two hinged pieces of iron, with narrow cylindrical blades at the end. The tongs would have been heated over a flame and then sections of hair were curled around them. Each section of hair was folded first into a length of paper, called a curl-paper, to prevent the hair from burning. Though the paper would have only offered limited protection. many women must have damaged their hair through
Pin, Saxon
Made of bronze and broken into two pieces, with a four-sided decorative top, Found in Wraybury. dated as Anglo-Saxon
Copper plate, Rubie & Son, between 1890-1910
1 of 8 engraved letterhead copper plates in the museum collection of Rubie and Son, wine merchants, grocers and provision dealers in Peascod Street, WIndsor, 1890-1910. This was a slower and more expensive way of producing business letterheads, but as this was for a Royal Warrant, quality was of utmost importance.One plate is still in its original wrapper
badge, E Bampfylde Plumbers
Small metal label made for the Windsor firm of E Bampfylde, sanitary plumbers and decorators. possibly made to be stuck onto a piece of equipment, such as a ladder or a product.
Helmet tin, dated about 1900
Brown painted helmet tin painted 'Percy Simpson. Royal Berkshire Yeomanry'. We also have the helmet in the Museum collection (see 1178.93.1-2) Simpson was a vet from Maidenhead who was in Egypt during WW1. the tin and helmet are thought to be dated about 1900.
AVRO Cowley aeroplane engine, about 1912
This 20.hp AVRO Cowley engine was bought by the Windsor Aero Club from famed Irish aviatrix, Lilian Bland. It cost them £25.00. Miss Bland, who built and flew her own aeroplane, the Mayfly, was persuaded by her father to give up on aviation because it proved too costly and dangerous a hobby. The aeroplane was subsequently broken up and sold on, and this is how the engine came in to the possession
Capacity measure, about 1825
Half bushel capacity measure, official measure of the Borough of Maidenhead. A bushel was an imperial measurement for liquid or fruits and vegetables. A half bushel equivalent to 18.1843675 litres.
Capacity measure, imperial peck, 19th century
Standard imperial peck capacity measure, official measure, used by Maidenhead Borough Council, in the 19th and early 20th century A peck was the equivalent of 2 gallons or 1.98 litres. Apples were commonly sold by the peck.
Part of Dornier Aeroplane (German) about 1941
Crushed remains of part of a Dornier German aeroplane which crashed in Maidenhead in 1941. The Dornier was designed in the early 30s and along with the Heinkel was the main bomber type used by the German air force (Luftwaffe) during World War II from 1939-45. The surviving part is an oxygen regulating valve, probably from a Dornier DO17 Z-3. Because of its narrow shape and distinctive nose cone
Commorative medallion, about 1919
Given to the parents of Henry Douglas Ashman, one of two bronze memorial medallions awarded for the deaths of brothers Henry Douglas Ashman and Cyril Arthur Ashman. Design on front is of Britannia standing and lion, inscribed He died for freedom and honour, and the name of the person to whom awarded posthumously. These medallions were nicknamed 'The Dead Man's Penny'
Commorative medallion, about 1919
Bronze medallion awarded to the parents of Cyril Arthur Ashman, one of two bronze memorial medallions awarded after World War 1 for the deaths of their sons Henry Douglas Ashman died and Cyril Arthur Ashman. Design on front is of Britannia standing and lion, inscribed 'He died for freedom and honour', with the name of the person for whom it was awarded. These medallions were nicknamed 'The Dead Ma
Camera, dated 1921 – 1924
Camera which once belonged to Doris Mellor. The camera was presented to her between 1921 and 1924 by the headmistress (Miss R M Hodges) of Wybenam School, Pietermauritzburg, Natal, South Africa During her final years, she was Secretary of the Landscape sub-committee of the Windsor and Eton Society, and was a tireless campaigner against insensitive developments. Her most famous campaign was to chal
hat tin, about 1897
Mayoral hat tin formerly used by William H Grenfell, mayor of Maidenhead 1895-1897.
Framed medals, 1855-1897
Five medals arranged in a circular frame, inscribed 'Coldstream Guards, Nulli Secundus'. Jubilee Medal 1897; Army Meritorious Service Medal; Crimean War (1853 - 1856) Medal with 4 clasps: Sebastapol, Inkerman, Balaklava and Alma; Army Long Service & Good Conduct Medal and the Turkish Crimea Medal, 1855. Sgt. Green was a gatekeeper at the Double Gates, Long Walk, Windsor Great Park
Helmet, Windsor Fire Brigade, about 1925
Formerly owned by Chief Officer John Tull. He was a baker from Peascod Street, Windsor as well as a member of the Volunteer Fire Brigade. In 1930 Tull was honoured for 15 years in the fire service. These helmets were worn on active service until about 1930, after which they were only to be worn for formal occasions. The helmet was donated to the Museum in 1955. See also the Uniform jacket WNDRB :
Balloon Trophy, 1898
Awarded to Patrick Young Alexander. He was a supporter and funder of early pioneers in flight. The dedication on the trophy has been translated and reads: dedicated to P Y Alexander. In memory of the Ascent of 15 September 1898 by the German Society for the Furthering of Aeronautics in Berlin.’ P.Y. Alexander was a pioneer balloonist, meteorologist, aeronautical engineer and friend to the Wright
Bayonet, 1853-1856
Bayonet from the Crimean War period 1853-1856. It can be attached to the barrel of a gun so that the gun and the bayonet could be used like a spear during battle. We do not have the gun that this would have attached to in our museum collection.
Trade token, 1666
Trade tokens were issued by traders and landlords whenever there was a shortage of small change, and are, in essence, ‘good for’ tokens. Often inscribed with the merchant’s initials or insignia, Trade Tokens were used in exchange for goods and services within the prescribed merchant’s business.
Sabre, circa 1800s
A cavalryman’s curved steel sabre with incised military decoration, including the Royal Coat of Arms, a Dragoon, and a display of drums, flags, hatchets and helmets. It is likely that this sabre was a ceremonial piece, on account of its decoration, and can be dated to just after the 1800s. We can infer the date from the Royal Arms, which is missing the once familiar fleur-de-lis. George III remo
Tetradrachma (coin), dated 284-305.
This tetradrachm coin was struck at Alexandria, Egypt, under the Roman Emperor Diocletian (244-311 AD). It was probably issued at around 288 AD. The coin, allegedly picked up in Vansittart Road, Windsor, has naturally corroded over the years. Yet, the portrait in profile of Diocletian is clearly visible on the coin’s obverse, circumscribed by Greek text. The reverse, however, is a little more di
Medal,1897
Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee (1897) marked the first time in British history that a monarch had reigned for sixty years. The celebrations were met with all the usual pomp and pageantry expected of a Royal occasion, and special commemorative medals were issued to mark the historic event. It is likely that this type of medal was issued to the mayor and councillors of Windsor. Its obverse (head
Key, date unknown
In 1806, a new gaol was built in George Street, Windsor, which was a short road of enormous disrepute. Such was its character that Charles Knight referred to this ‘foul quarter’ and its ‘vicious population’ in his memoirs. The gaol was not large by any means - with two rooms at ten feet square - and was only fit for very short-term offenders. Security was also at a premium, it seems, as ma